onsdag 29 april 2009

Why aren´t we doing anything?

Today we got a really big problem which ought to make the whole world anxious. What I talk about is our problem with the green house effect. Emissions happens so fast that neither human beings nor plants and animals have a chance to adjust to it. We are approximately letting out about 54 million ton carbon dioxide each year, which means about 6 ton per head. A great deal has already been made to prevent the problem to grow bigger than it already has, but why don´t people take the warning signals more serious than they do?

Economy is a determining factor that influences the issue about the green house effect. If people use the energy in a more effective way, it could have good effect on the increasing emissions. But people don´t change their oil boilers to district heating or heat pumps if they don´t have to. People change their heating systems if their oil boilers are broken or if they want a more economic way to heat up their houses.

Travelling is another huge climate crook. But both travelling and transportation are important in our ordinary life. If you live in a big city you can take the bus almost every were you want, but in small cities people often need their cars to manage to go to work and school. You can go together with someone or take the bus, but it takes longer time, so people often choose to take their own cars. We are living in a stressed out society today, and people are trying to do as much as possible in a short time. When it comes to transportation we can buy food from producers in our own town but they are usually more expensive, so most people choose to buy meat and vegetables transported from other countries.

People today are aware of these problems, but in some way it´s easy to shut one´s eyes and go on in the same way we always have done. We are all hit by the consumer mentality and buy a new TV, car, clothes, shoes, furniture and so on without reflecting on what we are doing to our climate. But after all we have started doing some things, like for instance sort our garbage, use low energy bulbs, Freon free refrigerators and freezers. Like we say in Sweden, “a little is better than nothing” but I hope people soon are going to wake up and take their responsibilities and starts taking better care of our earth than we are right now. It would be nice if our children, grand children and children after that could live and enjoy all beautiful life on earth.

1 kommentar:

  1. Dear Åsa:

    First of all I want to agree with you in your text and your thinking’s. Your text was good written and relevant and suitable to your heading. And I also think that a little is better than nothing. Imagine if all people on the Earth would think that and also do what they are thinking about, wonder how the climate change would look like then?

    The first thing that I reflect on in your blog is that I miss a bold heading or an underlined heading, or a little bit larger text on your heading. Then I think it’s easier for the reader to se that it is a heading. Otherwise the heading interesting and I feel that I want to read more what you had been written. I guess that you first paragraph is the introductory of your text, but to se that it is an introductory maybe you can do the text in italicize so it will be easier the readers to se. Otherwise it was all good. //Susanne Brink

    SvaraRadera